Embroideries are so beautiful and that is why many people want to have them on their cloths. Just like it takes time to achieve a good thing, it also takes time to achieve perfect embroidery. It could take hours before you complete embroidery especially if you are sewing by hand. Time is precious and you would definitely prefer to learn a method that would take less time.
This article is going to teach you how to embroider with a sewing machine. You would be amazed at how fast you could make embroidery with a sewing machine.
What you need
- Sewing Machine
- Thread (Different colors)
- Tailor’s chalk
- Clothing material that the embroidery would be made on (For the sake of this article, we would be using a jacket)
- Use the chalk to draw out the pattern you want on the jacket. Make the markings clear and neat.
- Get your machine. Set it to a stitch setting that would be best for the embroidery. The best stitch setting is usually “Funky”.
- Carefully place the jacket under the needle so that the design gets embroidered on it as you move the jacket. Make sure to place the jacket side with the design facing the needle. This would help you to see the design more clearly.
- Start stitching. Follow the chalk markings that you made earlier to create the design with a thread. If you feel like you might make a mistake, you could practice on a piece of clothing that you no longer need.
That is all. It is pretty simple. The time you would spend on the jacket would depend on how elaborate the design you want is. As a note of caution, it is important that you practice the look of the design before you eventually draw it out on the jacket.
As you go on with sewing, you can always change the thread and thread color so that it can fit into the beautiful design that you have in mind.
Also Read: Best Upholstery Sewing Machine
Tips to consider when making embroidery with a sewing machine
- Use the right thread. You might not consider this to be important but you couldn’t be any more wrong. You might succeed in using any kind of thread but the end result would not be as pleasant as when you use the right thread.
Using the right embroidery not only makes the design great but also contributes to the quality of the cloth.
- Clean the machine before you start working. This is obvious right? Even at that, many people still forget this vital detail. Cleaning your machine would put it in the right conditions to work. You could also identify some faults that need to be fixed when you clean your machine.
Another reason why you need to clean your machine is that oil stains could soil your jacket if you don’t. It is not uncommon for there to be oil stains on the body of a sewing machine especially after you have just carried out maintenance on it. Cleaning the machine would get rid of these stains.
- Make sure you have enough thread. It would be rather inconvenient for you to run out of thread while you are in the middle of your embroidery. So before you start, make sure that you have more than enough thread to cover the entire project.
Note that you would be using threads of different colors, so take that into account too.
- You might not get it the first time. Embroidery is not just a skill you pick up on your first day of trying it out. It takes time and continuous practice before you can be a pro at it. This should not discourage you at all. Remember, all good things take time.
Take your time to practice. You could always decide to practice on rags or worn-out cloths if you don’t want to risk damaging your favorite cloths.
Embroidery is like art that needs to be mastered. Once you have gotten the hang of it, you can proudly wear your production to the mall, to work, to the coffee shop or basically anywhere you want to. Play with the colors and designs and create amazing embroideries that turn heads as you walk.