Embroideries are so beautiful and that is why many people want to have them on their clothes. Just like it takes time to achieve a good thing, it also takes time to achieve perfect embroidery.
It could take hours before you complete embroidery especially if you are sewing by hand. Time is precious and you would definitely prefer to learn a method that would take less time.
This article is going to teach you how to embroider with a sewing machine. You would be amazed at how fast you could make embroidery with a sewing machine.
What you need
- Sewing Machine
- Thread (Different colors)
- Tailor’s chalk
- Clothing material that the embroidery would be made on (For the sake of this article, we would be using a jacket)
- Use the chalk to draw out the pattern you want on the jacket. Make the markings clear and neat.
- Get your machine. Set it to a stitch setting that would be best for the embroidery. The best stitch setting is usually “Funky”.
- Carefully place the jacket under the needle so that the design gets embroidered on it as you move the jacket. Make sure to place the jacket side with the design facing the needle. This would help you to see the design more clearly.
- Start stitching. Follow the chalk markings that you made earlier to create the design with a thread. If you feel like you might make a mistake, you could practice on a piece of clothing that you no longer need.
That is all. It is pretty simple. The time you would spend on the jacket would depend on how elaborate the design you want is. As a note of caution, it is important that you practice the look of the design before you eventually draw it out on the jacket.
As you go on with sewing, you can always change the thread and thread color so that it can fit into the beautiful design that you have in mind.
Also Read: Best Upholstery Sewing Machine
Tips to consider when making embroidery with a sewing machine
- Use the right thread. You might not consider this to be important but you couldn’t be any more wrong. You might succeed in using any kind of thread but the end result would not be as pleasant as when you use the right thread.
Using the right embroidery not only makes the design great but also contributes to the quality of the cloth.
- Clean the machine before you start working. This is obvious right? Even at that, many people still forget this vital detail. Cleaning your machine would put it in the right conditions to work. You could also identify some faults that need to be fixed when you clean your machine.
Another reason why you need to clean your machine is that oil stains could soil your jacket if you don’t. It is not uncommon for there to be oil stains on the body of a sewing machine especially after you have just carried out maintenance on it. Cleaning the machine would get rid of these stains.
- Make sure you have enough thread. It would be rather inconvenient for you to run out of thread while you are in the middle of your embroidery. So before you start, make sure that you have more than enough thread to cover the entire project.
Note that you would be using threads of different colors, so take that into account too.
- You might not get it the first time. Embroidery is not just a skill you pick up on your first day of trying it out. It takes time and continuous practice before you can be a pro at it. This should not discourage you at all. Remember, all good things take time.
Take your time to practice. You could always decide to practice on rags or worn-out clothes if you don’t want to risk damaging your favorite clothes.
How do you embroider letters on a sewing machine?
You can either do with block letters or even the small ones. Dealing with block letters is easier than small ones. You will need to do a lot of practice before you perfect on doing it. Try embroidering on scrap pieces of fabric until when you perfect it.
To achieve this, you will require to loosen the screw of the embroidery hoop. You will, then place the scrap fabric in between the hoops.
Secure the fabric by tightening the screws. Put the fabric under the sewing machine. Start sewing on the edge of the first letter.
Can I embroider with a normal sewing machine?
Yes, it is possible to do an embroidery pattern on a normal sewing machine. However, it will not work faster as the special embroidery machines that do the work quickly and efficiently.
The quality of work in a special embroidery machine will be better than that of the normal sewing machine.
The difference in quality, however, will not be much since both are sewing machines, and they can handle the job well.
You do not need to break your bank account to buy a special embroidery machine if you have the normal sewing machine.
Does it cost a lot to embroider?
It is not very costly to do one. Most of the professional sewers could per one thousand stitches. That, however, will depend on the design of your embroidery. They can digitize and embroider two garments at a price of between forty-five and sixty-five dollars.
If the work will take longer to complete, then there would be additional charges depending on the nature of work and the design as well.
The costs vary greatly per region, the design, time it takes to complete the task and the contract between the sewer and the customer.
Can you embroider without a hoop?
Yes, it is possible to do so. The main purpose of the hoop is to stabilize your work. If any stabilization method can work for you, then you will not need a hoop for embroidery.
When working without a hoop, you have to maintain an optimum level of tension in the fabric to prevent it from making irregular moves.
When the fabric makes such moves, then the outcome of the assignment will not be of the best quality.
Is it costly to buy an embroidery machine?
It mostly depends on the type of machine. The computerized type comes with a price that ranges from twelve thousand dollars to twenty thousand dollars.
The normal sewing machines that can embroider as well costs slightly lower than the special embroidery machine.
A computerized machine that contains a small computer in it and which can perform the work on its own is more costly.
That is because of the services that it offers to the use, which are not available with any other embroidery machine.
I would always advise you to purchase a sewing machine that fits your budget. Any type of sewing machine can also do embroidery, and hence you do not need to break your bank account looking for an expensive one.
Embroidery is like art that needs to be mastered. Once you have gotten the hang of it, you can proudly wear your production to the mall, to work, to the coffee shop or basically anywhere you want to.
Play with the colors and designs and create amazing embroideries that turn heads as you walk.
You May Also Like:
Taisha personally working at home in sewing, embroidery machine & Others. She created this blog to share her experience.