Sewing requires one to be creative. In most cases, it is the beginners who need a pattern more than the people with experience. The use of a pattern is to trace part of the garment to the fabric before cutting it out. They are made of paper and sometimes on hard material such as a cardboard or even a paperboard. What is the main use of a sewing pattern?
How does it help in sewing? In this article, I am going to highlight all the aspects which you need to know about using the pattern. Please read through it for more information.
How to use sewing patterns for beginners?
As a beginner, you do not need some complicated patterns. It may make your work to appear tough and hard to accomplish. I advise you to go for a pattern that has a few pattern pieces. Learn how to use each pattern until you perfect your work.
If you believe that you have gained much experience, you can proceed to the next piece of work. A pattern that has two designs, for example, will offer you an invaluable lesson on how to use bias tape. The learning process should be steady and progressive as one head towards professionalism.
What is the sequence with which a beginner should follow?
You should begin by sewing those easy to sew items such as a pillow. Such an item does not require one to use a pattern. You just need to cut and sew the seam allowances. There is no specific fabric to use when sewing a pillow. This means that you can use any fabric to accomplish the task. You will be amazed to find out how easy it is to do such work.
The next thing is to make a Sorbetto top. Sorbetto top is useful in teaching one how to use bias tape. This is one skill with which every beginner must-have. At this stage, there are no closures or even zippers that are needed. It should take you a few practical lessons to master the art of this sewing.
Try making a bias tape on your own to see if you have mastered it. At this stage, you must have mastered a lot of things and it should be easy for you to make bias tape.
Use the bias tape skills which you have learned so far to make a zipper. You can go ahead and install a waistband.
Finally, try installing some pockets to the garment and even do some top stitching.
All the above steps are meant to guide a beginner on how to use a pattern. If you follow each of the above steps one by one and progressively, you will soon find yourself being a professional. I would like to state however that this is not the only way a beginner can learn the process. You can try other methods so long as such methods are simple to follow and easy to learn. Ensure that you learn something new every day. You can go ahead to more complex works such as making outerwear or even installing some buttons.
How does one use PDF sewing patterns?
PDF patterns are available online. You can always get these designs by downloading and printing them on a piece of paper. If you download several copies, you will need to attach them by the use of cello tape or even glue. When you will have made a design of your choice, you can then use it just like a normal pattern. It is hard to find the difference between normal and PDF sewing patterns. The only advantage with PDF pattern is that you have access to a lot of designs, and mostly free of charge.
The procedure for using a PDF pattern.
- Download the digital pattern. You can use a computer to download so long as it has an active connection to the internet. Download it on an Adobe Acrobat application because it is accurate in maintaining the measurements. Where possible, try to download it on a computer-based program and not a web-based program.
- Print the downloaded documents. You are then to cut the printed PDF document to the shapes that you desire. A pair of scissors will serve you well here.
- Assemble the document. When you are done with the cutting, attach subsequent designs using glue or cello tape. This will form a pattern that will be useful in your work.
One good thing is that you will find all the PDF instructions on how to assemble when you will be downloading the pattern.
- Tracing the pattern. Assemble all the pieces and make a pattern of whatever size or as per your liking. You can create different sizes of patterns using the same downloaded documents.
- Sewing with PDF patterns. Once you have assembled everything, you will now be ready to sew. Go through the sewing instructions before you start the work. If you don’t mind about saving on costs, then you should not print these instructions. You can read these instructions through a smartphone, a laptop or even a tablet. There is an advantage of reading them online. This is because it can be updated at any moment and you will have access to updated information.
- Store the patterns. You do not need to discard the patterns after using them. I would advise you to keep them for later use. Just fold the papers gently and store them safely. You will always need them when the need arises.
Which is the best between normal sewing patterns and a PDF pattern?
I do not think that there is a lot of difference between the two. Both are patterns and they are meant to perform the same function. An advantage that comes with the PDF pattern is the ease of access and availability. You will always get it when you need it.
There is a lot of room for creativity when you use a pattern to sew. You will be able to make a lot of designs when you are exposed to these patterns. There those patterns which can be bought or drawn, and there are some which can be downloaded over the internet. No matter the one you go for, you will always end up with a pattern. A beginner in sewing work can learn fast how to sew by the use of a pattern.